Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) has released a hard-hitting Halloween video highlighting the dangers of flammable fancy-dress costumes for children.

The Service is warning parents to keep their children away from naked flames and suggesting they use battery powered tea lights rather than real candles, as part of their Bonfire Night and Halloween safety campaign Treacle.

Staff from GMFRS tested the flammability of a range of Halloween costumes and found that some were engulfed in flames in just nine seconds.

The warning comes after the Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) wrote to the Government calling for stricter testing of the costumes, which are classed as toys and not subject to the same tests clothes are.

Trading Standards Officers are carrying out spot checks on retailers across Greater Manchester and officers in Wigan have already removed some items deemed unsafe to wear.

Assistant County Fire Officer and Director of Prevention and Protection, Geoff Harris, said: “We want everyone to enjoy Halloween, but we also need to warn parents about the dangers of these costumes – they look great, but some of them are incredibly flammable.

“The material these costumes are made of melts when it burns and it will stick to the skin causing horrific injuries.

“You can avoid disaster this Halloween by keeping your children away from naked flames and using battery powered tea lights instead of candles in your pumpkin lanterns.

“If you must use candles consider putting them in a glass jar, so there’s no chance of the flame catching a costume.

“We would also recommend that you don’t take your children to bonfires or firework displays when they are wearing these costumes.

“If the worst should happen and clothes catches fire remember stop, drop and roll.”

If you would like more Halloween safety advice or would like to find out where your nearest firework display is please visitwww.safe4autumn.com.

Advertisements