A MAN is in hospital  with serious burns to his face after using lighter fluid on a bonfire.

He was having a bonfire with his family in Baxendale Road, Bolton, when the accident happened on Saturday, November 7.

An emergency call was made to Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) just after 7.30pm and an officer attended the scene.

Station Manager Dave Baxter said: “The bonfire was made up of lots of cardboard within an old oil drum. But the man put lighter fluid on it and when he lit the fire it popped and something that was on fire inside the drum flew out onto the man’s face.

“The fire was contained to the drum but the man suffered serious burns.”

The officer supported paramedics in treating the man at the scene and he was taken to hospital.

The incident comes after a total of more than 68,000 people enjoyed a safe and happy Bonfire Night at organised events in Heaton Park, Platt Fields and Wythenshawe Park on November 5.

Firefighters are reminding people to never use an accelerant on a bonfire and to attend organised events.

Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Councillor David Acton, said: “This incident highlights just how dangerous it is to use an accelerant such as lighter fluid, petrol or paraffin on a bonfire.

“Not only has this man suffered serious burns, his family will have no doubt been traumatised by what happened at what should have been a fun, family event.

“That’s why we always advise people to attend organised bonfires and fireworks displays – you get more for your money and more importantly, they are safer.

“There will be people across the county who are still celebrating today and this evening but please follow our advice and keep yourselves and your family safe.”

For advice on bonfire and firework safety, and details of organised events in your area, please visit www.safe4autumn.com