Bolton Council has launched a competition for local schools to win money by encouraging pupils to recycle the correct items in the burgundy bins.
29 primary schools across Bolton have signed up to take part in the competition and could win up to £300 per school to use on equipment or activities.
Recycling officers are currently in the process of visiting all schools and talking to pupils about recycling right and what should and should not go in the burgundy bin. Each child is then given two bin hangers to take home and write their school name on and is asked to discuss what they have learned with their families.
On the day of their burgundy bin collection, together with their families, they check the contents of the burgundy bin to ensure it only contains correct items and then attach the tags to the bin.
When the refuse collection crew empty the bin, they will check that it contains the correct items, with each correctly tagged bin winning money for the child’s school. This will then be repeated on the next burgundy bin collection.
Each school will receive a cash prize depending on the number of pupils and the number of correct hangers handed in.
Councillor Nick Peel, Executive Cabinet Member for Environmental Services said: “We are delighted that so many schools have signed up for this competition.
There is still some confusion over what can and can’t be recycled in burgundy bins and if a large number of incorrect items are placed in the bin, our refuse teams are unable to collect it.
We are hoping that children from these schools will be able to teach their parents how to recycle right, with the added benefit of winning cash for their school to spend on new equipment or exciting activities.”
The schools which have agreed to take part in the competition are:
- Beaumont Primary School, Ladybridge
- Devonshire Road Primary School, Heaton
- Eagley Junior School
- Eatock Primary School, Westhoughton
- High Lawn Primary School
- Holy Infants Primary School, Astley bridge
- Johnson Fold Primary School
- Kearsley West Primary School
- Lever Edge Lane Primary School
- Lostock Primary School
- Masefield Primary School, Little lever
- Moorgate Primary School, Tonge Moor
- Olive Tree Primary School, Daubhill
- Pikes Lane Primary School, Deane
- Sacred Heart Primary School, Westhoughton
- Sharples Primary School
- St Bartholomews Primary School, Westhoughton
- St Catherine’s CE Primary School, Horwich
- St Ethelbert’s Primary School
- St Georges Primary School, Westhoughton
- St John the Evangelist Primary School, Bromley Cross
- St Marys Primary School, Horwich
- St Matthews Primary School, Halliwell
- St Matthews Primary School, Little Lever
- St Osmunds and Andrews Primary School, Breightmet
- St Peter and Pauls Primary School, Deane
- St Peters Primary School, Farnworth
- St Peters Primary School, Smithills
- Thomasson Memorial School, Heaton