A landlord has been fined after his rental property in Bolton was found with dangerous electrics, chronic damp and limited heating.
Bolton Magistrates’ Court heard that landlord Mohammed Ayub, from Derby, had failed to comply with housing regulations for his property on Chorley Old Road.
The property had a catalogue of issues including: damp in the bedrooms due to a defective chimney and roof slates, no heating system in the kitchen, defective sockets and light switches throughout the property and no smoke alarms, which are now required by law in all privately rented properties.
Following an enforcement notice, Mr Ayub carried out some of the required work. However, a further visit from the council’s housing standards team to the property revealed that not all of the necessary repairs had been undertaken. Furthermore, the electrics were found to be dangerous and urgent remedial work was required.
The council carried out work in default to make the property safe for occupation, which incurred costs of £6067.33.
Bolton Council prosecuted the landlord, who pleaded guilty, on Thursday, November 3.
Ayub was found guilty and fined £350, and ordered to pay £2,051.14 costs and a victim surcharge of £35. He will also have to pay the council back for the cost (£6067.33) of the work.
Councillor Elaine Sherrington, Bolton Council’s Cabinet Member for Housing, said: “This is a successful case and demonstrates the council’s commitment to tackling rogue, irresponsible and criminal landlords.
“We do work closely with landlords to support them but we hope this case sends a clear message that we will take enforcement action when necessary.
“Nobody should have to live in unsafe accommodation and I would like to thank officers for their work and diligence on this case.”
Tenants do have legal rights and if there are issues of disrepair in their property that are not being addressed by their landlord, they can report these to the council’s Housing Standards team on 336500 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.